Group Design Rationale:
For our final project we had to create a 3-D sculpture that applied a theory demonstrating what we learned throughout the semester.
Throughout the semester we learned about Gestalt’s seven principles—proximity, similarity (shape), continuance, symmetry, closure, relative size, prägnanz or figure ground—and applied them to our class work/at home blog work. When brainstorming for our final project we came up with the idea of making a Play-Doh burger, each topping on the burger would focus on a different Gestalt principle, and the overall 3-D sculpture would tie all the principles together.
Our burger had several layers, the bottom layer of the bun, burger patty, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and lastly the top of the bun, coated with sesame seeds. The first principle we applied the burger to was proximity by grouping the toppings on the burger. The next principle applied was similarity (shape) by keeping the two pickles together, the sesame seeds on top of the bun, and the two tomatoes together. We applied continuance to the burger by overlapping two tomatoes. The layer of pickles was symmetrical which applies to the symmetry principle. We strategically placed the sesame seeds on top of the bun so that they formed a circle surrounding a triangle. The 3-D visual as a whole which was the burger inside of the paper to-go box applies the relative size principle. Lastly, we were not able to apply figure ground to our Play-Doh burger but overall, we were able to help us predict what will be grouped with what, and we will perceive as “figure” versus “ground”.
Individual Design Rationale:
For the final project as a team we decided to use play-dough to form our 3-Dimensional visual to display what we have learned throughout the semester in this course.
As a whole, we worked well together. I purchased the play-dough from Amazon when we got assigned the project after we brainstormed what we wanted to do for the final project. We then as a team wrote down one of the gestalt principles that would correlate with the layers of the burger. In addition to that, we made a google doc where we were all able to share our thoughts about the project to form a group design rationale which is located above this paragraph. I struggled a little bit with trying to decide what color play-dough we could use to add in real life toppings to the burger for the gestalt principles. My AHA moment occurred when we finally found all of the colors we needed for the burger. If I had more time for this project I probably would have made some French fries to go on the side or something else to add to the burger to make it more realistic. Working in a group helped me think about a topic for what to do for this final project because we had 4 people brainstorming rather than just myself so there were more ideas laid out on the table to choose from. If I could do this all over again, I probably wouldn’t have chosen the gestalt principles to correlate with this burger because it was a little bit difficult at first trying to figure out what principle could match with what layer of the burger.
Here is a photo of our final 3-D sculpture